Newark Wire Cloth’s Stainless Steel Test Sieves are manufactured using 300 series stainless steel. Unless otherwise specified the sieve frames are manufactured using 304 SS. They can also be fabricated using either 304L SS, 316 SS or 316L SS but these would be considered a special order. The ASTM E11 Sieve Cloth is typically supplied in 304 SS, but is often available in 304L SS, 316 SS, or 316L SS. If a 300 series stainless steel other than 304 SS is required please check with one of our customer service sales consultants as to its availability.
Historically, as all Test Sieves users know, Test Sieves have been offered in (3) different material combinations; all Stainless Steel, all Brass, or with a Brass Frame and Stainless Steel Cloth. Newark Wire Cloth recently discontinued our all Brass Test Sieves, and our Brass Frame with Stainless Steel cloth Test Sieves product offerings for the following reasons –
- For years Brass had been less expensive than Stainless Steel. However in today’s metals market the price of Brass (due to its Copper content) has gradually caught up to, and passed Stainless Steel material costs.
- Many of the ASTM E11-20 specifications are woven in Stainless Steel only.
- Brass oxidizes, meaning it tarnishes over time; any Brass sieves in stock, need to be polished a second time before shipping. Customers are not expecting their new Brass sieve to be tarnished when they receive it.
- Stainless Steel is more durable in terms of abrasion resistance. Brass is a ‘softer’ metal.
- Stainless Steel is more corrosion resistant than Brass.
- Stainless Steel is preferred for wet sieving and for food and pharmaceutical applications.
- Stainless Steel is also ‘stronger’ and preferred for larger diameter test sieves.